As a company we are involved with an industry where our activities have a significant influence over, and potential impact upon, the communities in which we operate. This affects the environmental, social and Economic stability in which these communities exist.
Sustainability is a broad term, covering everything from energy efficiency and use of renewable technologies, to incorporation of green infrastructure and adaptation of buildings to climate change. Our focus is on adopting a co-ordinated approach at all stages of the life cycle of buildings, including conception, briefing, design, procurement, construction, operation, maintenance and ultimate disposal.
Walker Construction considers sustainability in its every day operation covering areas such as;
- Energy & Carbon emissions
- Climate Change
- Material procurement
- Resource efficiencies
- Waste Management
- Air Quality
- Health & Wellbeing
- Quality of life
- Alternative technologies
- Sustainable infrastructure
- Building Management & Performance
- Efficient Construction methods
- Continue to develop our staff through training in accordance with both our mandatory and soft skills matrix and offering sponsorship where appropriate to meet the individuals aspirations.
- Support local communities via sponsorship, local employment, working with local educational providers and businesses.
- Set annual goals to improve the impact of our activities by setting achievable objectives and targets.
- Development of data retrieval to ensure improved monitoring and initiative implementation.
- Collaborate with our supply chain at design and tender stage to influence and reduce where possible environmental project impact on communities.
- Champion awareness within our company and supply chain.
- Increase company profitability by implementing our sustainable strategy and minimising our energy usage by procurement of an energy management system to ISO50001.