Walker Construction were very proud to complete the £1.4 million project at Walmer Castle in Deal, which comprised rejuvenating parts of the castle’s historic gardens; revived and reunited the areas of the gardens known as the Glen and the Paddock.
We started works mid-May 2018 with our team creating a new children’s play trail and Woodland Walk; along with improving visitor facilities by adding a new Glasshouse café, learning space, disabled toilets and disabled access routes. We’ve worked very closely with the local community on this project, including the popular Hard Hat tours.
The works included the demolition and removal of the existing stables; the construction of new toilets onto the existing greenhouse to create a Café/WC. We constructed a new learning centre; and designed and built a new staircase to gain entry to the glen. To complete the project we carried out soft and hard landscaping works and installed new fencing.
There were some additional works to this project which involved tar and chip to the existing tarmac drive, additional mechanical and electrical works, we also installed some additional fencing.
The pleasure grounds around Walmer Castle were begun around 1802, developed from a piece of windswept coastal farmland by William Pitt the Younger, with the help of his niece, Lady Hester Stanhope, in 1805-6. The grounds were unfinished when Pitt died in 1806, but completed in the following 20 years by Lord Liverpool, and have been evolving under many influences ever since. The gardens are Grade II listed on Historic England’s Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.